the underdogs

 Mariano Azuela's "Underdogs" was an interesting novel. Touted as "the" novel of the Mexican Revolution, I can kinda see why. Personally, I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the Mexican Revolution, but I do know about other revolutions so I'll assume similar threads between them all. This novel offers an unconventional presentation of a revolutionary drive; while the traditional story that is often mythologised and taught in schools and media posits that revolutionaries are firstly and foremostly passionate about "the cause" - whatever that might mean - this isn't always the case. I actually really liked seeing the growing unbotheredness over the course of the novel. I personally am a touch cynical and have never believed that all revolutionaries were as dedicated as history classes tell us and honestly, I feel slightly validated by seeing that this was indeed the case sometimes. 

I thought the nicknames were a fun part of the novel, and though the translator probably does it some justice (not that I'd know), I do wish I could experience them in their original language. Nicknames can be a deeply personal part of how we experience and are perceived by other people; they can be an important part of one's identity and so I think translating it can sometimes result in a loss of depth (somewhat akin to translating poetry). It's entirely possible though that I'm overthinking it, as I'm prone to doing sometimes.

Of all the characters, Luis Cervantes was the most interesting for me to read. I feel I can understand why different characters feel differently toward him. It makes sense to me that Demetrio Macias would dislike him, and it also makes sense to me that I kinda like his story too. He's a medical student who flips sides over the course of the revolution and eventually deserts to go north. Some would see him as a traitor to his country, some would see him as making the wise choice for himself. I see both sides but probably lean more toward the latter. I think I would also try to escape a situation if I felt it were a sinking ship too (shall we talk about contemporary personal immigration stories? nah)

The last thing I want to talk about that stuck out to me while reading was the group's (and especially Demetrio's) strong aversion toward writing. Of all the things that I have seen been deemed controversial - avocados, lattes, Colleen Hoover - the act of writing and the skill of literacy was not one I've come across before. I suppose it makes sense when you think about the implications of a new culture overtaking a traditionally oral culture, but I just thought that was a very interesting thing, particularly the scene where they smash up a desk.

The question I pose to you all; what was your favourite nickname in the novel? Why? Bonus question: Do you have any nicknames?

Comments

  1. "I thought the nicknames were a fun part of the novel, and though the translator probably does it some justice (not that I'd know), I do wish I could experience them in their original language."

    Yes, translation is an issue here... as also when the book depicts a sort of lower-class or rural oral language. Plus what do you think about the change (in translation) of the title from "The ones from below" (Los de abajo) to "The Underdogs"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that Louis was the most interesting character in the story, and as I have been reading more into the text, I think it also him being the first known literate person in Demetrio's crew demonstrates a turning point in the cohesion of his group. I do have a few embarrassing nicknames that I won't repeat lol. I like the nickname Blondie, but not his character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deeba,

    I also echo your thoughts when it comes to the "unconventiona" view of revolutionaries presented in this novel. While revoluntaries have almost always been portrayed in a ositive light in history classes etc, this book offered a refreshing perspective. The way I see it is that it really just boils down to power struggles amongst leaders regardless of which "side" you're on. There's always some alternative motive that deviates from the cause itself and like portayed in this novel, can lead to destructive consequences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the next 50 years of solitude

i got stuck in the labyrinth

I, Rigoberta Menchu